Monday, November 28, 2005

Throw Phil Collins out

Bush unveiled his program for border security and illegal aliens.  It looks similar to what he has been proposing since the election.  I note that it’s not as extreme as giving current illegals amnesty, nor is it as harsh as sending all illegals back immediately.

There are some aspects of it that I like.  I like that employers will be targeted and punished to a greater extent if they hire illegal aliens.  Also that there will be more of an effort to release the detained illegal in their country of origin (even their hometown?) as opposed to right across the border. 

However, they are talking about lots more money to do this, and I wonder how that money is going to be spent.  Also, while there isn’t absolute amnesty, the plan calls for a temporary amnesty for all illegals that come out of hiding and register.  They will be sent back out of the country after 3 years automatically and then they can re-try to get back into the U.S.

I have been disappointed at how Bush and the Republicans have been spending money lately.  However, this is an issue that needs some sort of action, so I’m tentatively behind Bush on this one.  However, I’m sure that’s not my final answer.

No comments: