Monday, May 09, 2005

Mother's Day

I didn't post yesterday, mostly because I was spending time on things that are ultimately more important than blogging and politics.
Unfortunately, I didn't get to spend much time with my wife, and mother of my children, because she had to work (on all days, this one). She works at a local family restaurant, and it's one of their big days, so we didn't have too much of a choice, and really, I'm not going to pass up the money that kind of workday will bring.
So, like many other holidays, spread out the fun. Saturday night she got a foot bath (plug-in foot bath tub that vibrates a little), and then a foot massage. We watched a SNL (for the first time in months) and talked a bit.

Side note: I had thought that SNL skits, over the years, were getting a bit raunchier, more sexual in content, and generally more stupid over the years. This week was no different, so I'm planning on going back to not watching again for a while. One skit was about people celebrating mothers day at a restaurant, which was banal, but made a point of reminding the audience that some waitpersons are mothers too, which my wife appreciated.
The other skit that caught my attention was the opening "commercial" skit, where they cut to commercial, but it's really a pre-taped skit. The "commercial" was for a product called "Mom" jeans, pants specially made for the Mom figure. Or whatever. I thought it was offensive to all women, in that the tag line was something like "for when they stop being women, and become moms." Nice. That's funny why?

Anyway, as a Christian, Sunday's are traditionally devoted to God, not to other people. So, of course, our entire morning is spent at church. We get up on Sunday's about the same time that we get up every day of the week, and don't leave church until after noon. The pastor had a great sermon for the moms in the congregation, but I was there to learn about God and to glorify him, so there's part of the day not honoring the moms in my life.
We then went out to a quick lunch and then home for a nap (after watching SNL, and then having to get up at 6:30, a nap was needed). Then she had to get up, get ready and go to work for the rest of the day and evening.
But here's the crucial part. I don't feel guilty for not giving her a whole day of pampering and attention. Why? Because as husbands, we should be honoring the mothers of our children every day of the year. Don't you think?
So we'll see how I can honor her today.
And then tomorrow.
And then the next day.
Happy Mother's year.

No comments: