Wednesday, May 04, 2005

More on SS and Medicare

In my last post I didn't have time to make one comment about the interesting idea that NoSpeedBumps had for changing the way the government treats Social Security and Medicare. It was very interesting, and I'm sure all of you have read it now, right?
Anyway, I liked that most of the money that would be going currently to the government to pay existing SS would be put into a medical account that was personally mine, but one thing kind of got to me. That was the flat tax. I've heard many arguments about flat taxes before, but when you start going through all the tax deductions, even just the major ones, like kids and house mortgage and the like, the question I ask is: would you keep any of those deductions? Some of them make sense and I would have to be convinced that taking them away in favor of a flat tax rate would be better than having them around.
You don't have to convince me, however, that the current tax code is entirely too large and confusing and needs to be overhauled.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Medicare is a great form of health insurance for many individuals and there is no way it should be cut off as health coverage is a major importance to many.