Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Schiavo revisited

A judge made a decision extending the stay that's keeping Terri Schiavo alive for the moment. I've been concerned about this, as I think her husband is a slime for wanting this.
But the decision by the judge raises another flag that's a little disturbing. His reasoning for the extension of the stay is thus:
A judge Wednesday extended a stay keeping brain-damaged Terri Schiavo's feeding tube in place, saying he needed time to decide whether her husband, who wants to let her die, is fit to be her guardian.

Pinellas Circuit Court Judge George Greer extended until Friday an emergency stay that was to expire Wednesday afternoon. He said he also needs more time to determine whether Terri Schiavo needs more medical tests to determine if she has greater mental capabilities than previously thought.

Ok, I'm with the second reason, but the first one gives me pause. There's a pretty sacred tradition in this country that Spouses have the right to make the decisions for their respective others, if they can't make it for themselves. It's as if they are one in this decision making ability. At what point can a judge just say that a husband is not "fit" to be a guardian for his wife? Is there precedent here? I think that Michael Schiavo is a selfish bastard, but he is her husband. I would hate for a court to interfere with a decision I made on behalf of my wife just because folks don't like it.

No comments: