Friday, July 15, 2005

The real Compassionate Conservatism

Compassionate Conservatism is a phrase that gets a bad wrap from conservatives in the U.S., namely Bush, using it all too often and many times not meaning it in the way it was meant to be defined.

Christians committed to helping those in need understand it’s real meaning, compassionate effort to aid those in need without just using the government or throwing money at something.

      That's compassionate conservatism at work—personally becoming involved with those in need instead of merely dispensing condoms or dollars. It's hard work. At the missionary's house next to the children's home two Adirondack chairs sit in a tranquil spot under a shade tree overlooking the blue Zambezi River. Mr. Mink says that he and his wife Rebecca figured they'd find a half hour each day to sit in them, but now they are rarely used.

I’ll admit that I don’t put in the work that missionaries put in.  I have my own issues with not putting my compassion to work enough, or giving of myself enough.  But I know where my money is not being put to good use.

No comments: