Thursday, April 14, 2005

Gas prices and hybrids

Gas prices. Ew. The latest here in Portland Oregon is that regular unleaded gas costs about 2.40 a gallon. Now that's not very much compared to bottled water, but how much bottled water do you buy a month (those from Cali, don't answer that)? Needless to say that I don't get premium or plus much any more.
I would like to reduce the amount of gas we use as a family, but we as a society have build social patterns, literally into the design of our cities, that require us to drive at least part of the time. Those of you who don't think so obviously don't have kids.
I would like to buy a hybrid car some time. I have heard that they aren't that bad. They drive OK, have generally enough power to do everything you might need in today's urban life. But they don't have everything yet. First of all, they are still new enough that there isn't a really good used car market. They are pretty expensive (for the size) when they are new, and there aren't many available on used lots yet.
The other thing is the lack of companies making them and the lack of styles. It just may be that I'm an American, but I want my next vehicle to be a pickup truck. I'm not talking about getting a truck or SUV as status symbol, I plan on actually using it as a truck. Since we bough a house I have recognized the need for such things. We have six trees around the yard, and they produce a litter of leaves that requires too many yard debris bags to manage. It would be nice if I could just haul it out. It would be nice if I could just haul in materials I need for projects from Home Depot. It would be nice if I could just throw camping equipment or my skis into the bed and drive off instead of the damage that does to the interior of my car.
Would it really hurt the auto companies in the world to make a hybrid truck? The technology has obviously been there for years. I'm not going to be hauling large trailers or anything like that.
Rant over.

No comments: