Saturday, June 03, 2006

World Cup is Next week!

Man, sometimes big events just creep up on you. Or maybe that's just age, as I have known that the cup was coming, but time seems to fly recklessly.
So in the meantime, I'm reading about the teams, some of the players, checking the schedule and seeing what games I want to catch and when I have time to catch them. The tournament is in Germany this year, which means that we're going to have some early morning games. Like 6Am or 9AM. Which is a lot different from the last cup, which was in Korea and Japan, where the games were at 2AM and 5AM mostly.
Paul Mirengoff of Powerline is a big soccer fan and has been mulling all this over. It caught him by surprise too. So I'm not alone in this malady.
ESPN's soccer page has modified their motif so that it's all World Cup, all the time. They'll probably have this setup until mid-July.
Fox Sports has their page up too. Check these sites out if you need quick information to get you up to speed on what's going on.
My impression is that all the games are going to be on ESPN and ABC. That's certainly not without precedent. ESPN might have some scoreboards up that offer some play by play action. One would hope that they have some sort of streaming radio coverage so I can catch some of the action when I'm not within screaming distance of a cable TV.

No comments: