Thursday, June 30, 2005

Amnesty for Immigrants

Via Instapundit, Mickey Kaus finds:
"Yes, I am coming for the Bush amnesty program." That's what one illegal immigrant reportedly told a U.S. border patrol questioner in a survey the Bush administration understandably failed to complete. About 45 percent of those questioned "said that 'amnesty rumors' influenced their decision to cross the border illegally," according to WaPo's report.
OK, this with a report I heard on the radio yesterday that they caught Iraqi's trying to come into the country illegally, brings me to one of my problems with Bush's domestic policies.
It's OK to be concerned about the illegal immigration problem. As I wrote about some yesterday in my post on Jim Wallis, as a Christian I expect Bush to be concerned for those poor folks coming over the border. But if you are the President of the United States, you also need to be concerned that creating a situation where, if Bush carries through what he talked about during his campaign, all the people who successfully snuck across the border get to stay and have legal status, which is a tremendous security risk. What kind of message does that send to terrorists around the world hoping to get us where it really hurts: at home.
I imagine with a promise like that, terrorists are doing everything they can to get here before Bush proclaims amnesty for all immigrants.
Really, the porous border is countering any gains we make in homeland security.

No comments: