Saturday, January 26, 2008

Super Ruby Tuesday '08

It’s been a while, but the wait should not be taken as a sign that I have fallen off the earth. Nor should the reader assume that I have given up on politics, world events, science and religion just because I have not put fingers to the keys for a while. It’s been a very hustle and bustle holiday season, and for a change I was very involved in other areas of my life. Suffice to say that this is a moment in that life that I’ll probably be getting back to soon.

I continue my attempt to make this an essay only blog. And by that I mean that I don’t want to have short comments to a link that I found. I can voice my short opinions to friends and family, but you all have the entirety of the net at your disposal, and you can read stuff for yourself. This space is for lengthier ruminations.

Which leads me to the purpose of this one. It’s Presidential election time again. I’ve been paying attention to the constant campaigning, much to my detriment, for the last few months, and I have to say that I’m disappointed that many of the states decided that they were going to seek some quasai elevation of their self importance by dragging out our election cycle a few more months. In addition to that politicians and parties seem to think that the American public enjoys politics so much that they’d better get going nearly a full 2 years before the next President puts his tush in the Oval Office.

But far from what the press is informing all of us about, I thought I would take a look at what the candidates (who are left) are all about. What are their policy platforms? Who’s been saying what about what this country needs and what the issues are, as opposed to what they’re saying about each other?

I’m taking the Republicans first. I find myself more attracted (if only just) to the general platform of the Republican Party these days, and many of my friends also lean in that direction, so in the interest of our upcoming primary (and in case I don’t get to the other party until May), that’s where I’m starting. I’ll then saunter over to the Democrats, which should be fun considering how close this race is so far.

Let me take this opportunity to say how disappointed I am that Fred Thompson has dropped out. No, I guess he didn’t have much of a shot considering how far behind he’s been in some of these primaries and caucuses. I’m going to miss the opportunity to vote for someone who’s as close to my political values as anyone has been in a while. While I’m still pretty socially conservative, personally, politically I yearn for the federalism that the founders intended and a smaller and less corruptible government in DC. I don’t see that in the policy articles or speeches by the other candidates. And so I’m in that spot of picking from the lesser of many weevils. The big question is going to be, who is going to be left for us in lonely Oregon to vote for come May?

Lots of love.

No comments: